Wednesday, November 01, 2006

republished the blog; project idea

folks-
I've republished the blog and nothing new came up, those of you that tried to put something up should try it again.

2nd project idea: I'm planning on doing a 3-channel streaming video "installation' based on Hieronymus bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" a famous painting of the grotesque. The video will follow "Garden" mostly in the sense of its form (the painting is a triptych) and as a reference to it. Three videos will stream simultaneously, a looping montage of footage that reference the readings. Examples would be Halloween footage, suits going to work, times square, etc. I have to go over the readings again and think of more shots.
The inspiration is Bakhtin's forward looking statement that the carnival impulse can't be eliminated from society.
I can probably articulate all this better when the Vicadin for my tooth is wearing off ; )

2 Comments:

Blogger Vinyl Head said...

Actually you never know; the Vicadin could bring something TO this project that would otherwise be absent.

I love this idea of a video triptych. I love Flemish art, Bosch is one of my faves, and I actually had something of a triptych fetish for a time; I even made one for an academic presentation of some kind like 15 years ago but have no idea what it was now.

It would be cool (though difficult?) if, in the opening of the montage you had the "closed" version of the triptych. It might eve be cool to use the actual panels from the Bosch painting--I'm not certain, but I believe the outer panels of the closed triptych show the planet earth. If you could capture that (or something reminiscent of it) as the opening shot, it might work nicely. you'd have the world and then it would be divided (by authority?) into three sections.

I'll try to think of any shots that I think might be of use. What kinds of shots do you plan to use for the left and right "panels"? I'm guessing maybe the suits marching to work is a right-panel image (I sure as shit felt like I was in hell when I had to wear a suit to work)?

12:07 PM  
Blogger Vinyl Head said...

OK I was wrong but right, sort of. The closed panels of "Garden" is not the earth per se, but "creation" represented by a sphere. To me, that image of the spherical representation evinces a sense of holisticness of the world at its beginning (prior to the division of of man and woman and fall of both to original sin or whatever) that reminds me of that idea that humanity was once devoid of schism (such as "high" and "low" people or culture), but that as power structures formed, so too did classifications and hierarchies.

And, this idea segues nicely into the idea for my project, which I will post momentarily.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home