Monday, September 25, 2006

Wednesday,
Hey folks- I won't be able to meet for long on Wednesday after class, but I'll check the blog daily this week to give feedback to those who need it.
As for my idea, I'm still planning on doing something with the early photography theory that we read (with the addition of Walter Benjamin's "A Short History of Photography" that we didn't read but I can post here for anyone whose interested.) Then I plan to compare that to the democratization of the photo-image from the commercialization of the daguerrotype to polaroids to digital photography. For the last part, and the bulk of my project, I'm interested in how "teenagers" (13-20 something) are using digital photos, performatively, in the construction of their online identities. I'm sure there are some kernels that in Benjamin, Holmes, etc that foretell this, but any ideas on how to make the intellectual leap from point A to B would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on doing this all via a website, using hypertext narrative, similar to this but much more focused. The concept is that one can explore a work of non-fiction in a non-linear way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vinyl Head said...

I love the tweens and teens to the "secondary adolescents" of early 20 somethings use images performatively in the construction of their identies. It's a level of the image that I really hadn't considered until you mentioned it.

If you want to post Benjamin's photography piece, I'd love to see it. I think perhaps I read it for a mondernism and the avante garde class I took a thousand years ago. I don't imagine this will help tremendously but when I saw that title (“A Short History of Photography”) on the screen, followed by the online-identity thing, I had this vision of a hand holding a deck of cards and squeezing it until all the cards flew out in a continuous line. Only, instead of cards, they were photos: starting with daguerrotypes, onto tin types, sepia photos, color, Polaroids, and finally ethereal digital images. Anyway, that would be a flash amination and a half, so... If I think of anything to help otherwise I'll let you know tomorrow night.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home