Hi all,
It's late so I'll read people's entries tonight and discuss my feed back with you tomorrow (and/or I'll post comments to the posts). Meanwhile here is my status:
I have made some progress since my previous brainstorm on the story about my dad's Polaroid photos. My sister is shipping them to me, I should be able to collect some of the video I described, including Polaroids photos of my dad's junk strewn about in the junk.
I am going with an installation type of idea, but unfortunately this presents a problem that we all need to consider regarding our projects. I confirmed with our professor that no class time will be dedicated to presenting our projects. Dr. Ewen did say that installation projects could be presented at Hunter College.
The only thing I worry about is making sure my materials are not damaged or go missing during an installation, since mine would very much be an intimate affair in which I would want students to pick up and examine individual Polaroid photos (but then put them back!).
I tentatively plan the following elements on a table:
1)A pile of my dad's Polaroids that people can come up and rifle through and examine.
2)A computer screen displaying my collection of ownce-owned but now just digitally, visually archived artifacts
3)A video running a loop of a short amount of footage (some of which I described already) from my father's house – shots of the overwhelming piles of papers, books, and objects; shots of the very Polaroids on display, as clutter. The shot of my dad's photocopier overflowing onto the already paper-cluttered floor as copy after copy of something create a pile of reproductions.
4)A stack of copies of a short, written essay describing the nature of the other elements.
I suppose if I am really worried about the Polaroids (if we had museum security, that would be another thing!), I could do as XXX suggested and take photos and/or scans of the Polaroids in a pile, as well as a number of individual ones to give the viewer a taste. But I don't know. I very much like the installation as incorporating the “real” object/images that are those Polaroids. I might be paranoid about Polaroids but I have to say that now I covet them...meanwhile, my father left 100s of other (non-Polaroid, of a trip he took) photos for me that he wants me to scan... and those, I couldn't care less if they disappeared or not.
It's late so I'll read people's entries tonight and discuss my feed back with you tomorrow (and/or I'll post comments to the posts). Meanwhile here is my status:
I have made some progress since my previous brainstorm on the story about my dad's Polaroid photos. My sister is shipping them to me, I should be able to collect some of the video I described, including Polaroids photos of my dad's junk strewn about in the junk.
I am going with an installation type of idea, but unfortunately this presents a problem that we all need to consider regarding our projects. I confirmed with our professor that no class time will be dedicated to presenting our projects. Dr. Ewen did say that installation projects could be presented at Hunter College.
The only thing I worry about is making sure my materials are not damaged or go missing during an installation, since mine would very much be an intimate affair in which I would want students to pick up and examine individual Polaroid photos (but then put them back!).
I tentatively plan the following elements on a table:
1)A pile of my dad's Polaroids that people can come up and rifle through and examine.
2)A computer screen displaying my collection of ownce-owned but now just digitally, visually archived artifacts
3)A video running a loop of a short amount of footage (some of which I described already) from my father's house – shots of the overwhelming piles of papers, books, and objects; shots of the very Polaroids on display, as clutter. The shot of my dad's photocopier overflowing onto the already paper-cluttered floor as copy after copy of something create a pile of reproductions.
4)A stack of copies of a short, written essay describing the nature of the other elements.
I suppose if I am really worried about the Polaroids (if we had museum security, that would be another thing!), I could do as XXX suggested and take photos and/or scans of the Polaroids in a pile, as well as a number of individual ones to give the viewer a taste. But I don't know. I very much like the installation as incorporating the “real” object/images that are those Polaroids. I might be paranoid about Polaroids but I have to say that now I covet them...meanwhile, my father left 100s of other (non-Polaroid, of a trip he took) photos for me that he wants me to scan... and those, I couldn't care less if they disappeared or not.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home